Here we go again.

Because I'm running the Chicago Marathon. Again. This is my account of the next three months of training. (And griping. And injuries. And victories. And breakdowns. And weakness. And strength.)

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Yesss.

Running Log:
Today: 4 miles
Yesterday: 5.5 miles, 100-meter stride-outs
Tomorrow: fartlek 1-2-3-2-1

I had an awesome run last night. A-w-e-s-o-m-e. I felt great mentally. Physically, I was hurting a little in the beginning, but after a couple miles I felt SO good. Sigh.

I didn't go out until almost 9 o'clock, which I thought would be scary because, hi, I don't like the dark. Or strangers. Or strangers in the dark. But it was actually really good. I weaved in and out through the city, across four of the main bridges and through campus. I brought my cell phone in my iPod arm band, just in case (since I DON'T have an iPod).

I left for my run after a two-hour phone conversation with The Fiance - and let me tell you, talking on the phone is not something we do very well. But last night we had a really good conversation, and I felt great afterward - which made the run that much better.

During the last stretch of the 5.5-mile run, I still felt strong, so I added in the 100-meter stride outs. All with NO shin pain. Well, a little shin pain in the beginning, but it subsided. And for extra entertainment, I got howled at by a girl in a passing car, some guy quacked "AFLAC" as he drove past, and an out-of-towner at a bar celebrating "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration" took my picture as I ran past. Yes, good day, sir. Fancy a girl covered in sweat?

Bizarre.

So when I got home, I tried the whole soaking-in-a-tub-of-ice-cold-water thing, and it felt goooood. A little chilly, but my legs loved it. Then I iced my shins, hopped into bed and watched another episode of Dawson's Creek.

FABULOUS.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:38 AM, Blogger Anne said…

    Those ice baths are much more welcomed in the summer weather, aren't they? Welcome to the RBF. I'd also planned to run Chicago this fall but encountered a serious injury. Looking forward to tracking your training.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger Legs and Wings said…

    Hi Krista, I'm new here and thought I'd say hi. Good to read about your training. Good luck.

     
  • At 2:34 PM, Blogger Faithful Soles said…

    I'm battling a nasty shin splint right now in my left leg. I hope you are better and resume your running and blogging soon. In the meantime, I'll share a story with you about an event I witnessed at the 2000 Boston Marathon that hopefully will inspire you, The Greatest Marathoner
    Good luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home